Friday, March 4, 2016

365 True Things: 341/Books

I can't remember the last time I spent most of the day lying around reading. Oh wait, no, I can too: it was back in December, when I blasted through The Water Knife in the course of a weekend.

Normally, though, I save my reading for the evening. I am a slow reader, and it usually takes me a little while to finish a book. Which I must keep in mind in the context of my 61 Books project, since I have 49 to go and only nine months left. The clock is a-tickin'.

It being a gloomy, rainy day today, I decided to settle in this afternoon with A Lily of the Field, a historical thriller by John Lawton that comes highly recommended by my friend Trudy. Set during and immediately after World War II, it covers everything from the development of the atom bomb to the Auschwitz women's orchestra. Somehow, the physicist's and the cellist's stories will merge. It's a cracking good yarn, and I'm learning something besides.

And now, back to reading.

1 comment:

Eager Pencils said...

I've got a book for you, I'll send it up when I'm through. It's about a woman finding her "why". ...purpose I think you already know yours, great read again.