Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Noticing lvi - Maya Lin, architect

Yesterday's post about memorials of war reminded me of Maya Lin's Vietnam Memorial in Washington, DC. I will never forget my first visit: walking down into that trench, as the black wall of names started to climb, and soon dwarfed me. It was so powerful, it brought tears. There is a Canright on the wall (what, if any, relation, I do not know). Here are a few photos I took last time I was there, in 2014.




Lin was only a senior at Yale when she submitted her design (which earned her a B in her funereal architecture seminar), and it met with plenty of controversy. The wall was finally unveiled on November 13, 1982. To my mind, it is one of the most stirring monuments on the Mall. (Read more about it here.)

Maya Lin is 60 years old now, and has spent her career designing beautiful buildings. Here are some of her other architectural creations. Starting with an aerial view of the Vietnam Memorial.


The Riggio-Lynch Chapel, designed for the
Children’s Defense Fund, Haley Farm, Clinton, Tennessee
Helen Clark Hope Plaza, Washington University
School of Medicine, St. Louis, Missouri

Tribeca townhouse
Rendering for new Smith College library
The Novartis Building, Cambridge, Massachusetts
Civil Rights Memorial, Montgomery, Alabama

Here is a New York Times article on her work. Me, I'd like to go seek more of it out. I like her simple but strong style.

No comments: