Friday, January 13, 2017

Hodgepodge 76/365 - Playing Recorder

When I was a kid, I played recorder every week or so with my mother's best friend, Libby Robinson. I had a soprano and an alto recorder. Still do, somewhere. The soprano recorder is, I believe, made of cherry wood (or maybe it's tulipwood); the alto, of European boxwood. I enjoyed sharing music with Libby, and she was kind about my lack of skill (as in, I didn't really practice). We usually played Elizabethan aires and suchlike. I may still have my favorite book of music that we worked from. Libby and a good friend of hers, Phyllis Levine, played recorders at David's and my hippie-esque wedding back in 1981. I have a picture of them, but it's too hard to get at right now. I'll keep an eye out for it when I get around to cleaning out my office closet, and hopefully I'll remember to post it here. I'll keep an eye out for my recorders, too—maybe try to find that music and play a little again. Stranger things have happened.


No comments: