Wednesday, January 6, 2016

365 True Things: 283/Books

I try not to buy books. Honest I do.

Today, for example. My Norwegian study partner told me about a Danish crime novel that she thought was really, really good. So of course I had to have it in my hands a.s.a.p. Because once she mentioned it, I realized that's exactly what I'm in the mood for in my 61 books project: good schlocky Nordic noir!

Never mind that my last book was good schlocky dystopian sci-fi.

Meanwhile, I am tiptoeing through a really good not-at-all-schlocky book of short stories, Karen Bender's Refund, a National Book Award nominee. So I'm at least getting a daily dose of high literature.

Unfortunately, the library, though on my way home from my friend's house, wasn't open yet. So I checked the on-line catalog of my local library, part of the Monterey County Free Library system. But alas, it doesn't have this title. Two other branches of the system do, and I could have put in a request. But a.s.a.p., right?

So, it was off to amazon, my thought being: kindle! I wouldn't have yet another physical book to further clutter up my bedroom floor, but I could get it immediately. But amazon, well: the kindle version was the highest price ($11.99), higher even than a new paperback, and although I could get a "good"-condition hardback or paperback for a penny (plus $3.99 shipping), I was still on my a.s.a.p. quest.

So I decided to pay a return visit to the Monterey library. Which I did—without checking the book's status on-line. And the nerve! Someone had checked it out! And someone else had a hold on it!

What else could I do but buy the damn thing? But in the interest of keeping the clutter down, I went for the kindle option.

And then: I started to read. Right away. Because . . . a.s.a.p., right?




1 comment:

SMACK said...

lol, i love my library....
this line had me laugh "good schlocky Nordic noir! " ..
i try to mix my readings up ... history, with biographys, then maybe historial fiction. . . somedays i cant get past 2 pages ..