Saturday, January 16, 2016

Deaths-bis (#291 revisited)

My third death has arrived, and in the week.

Eva Saulitis, age 52. Writer, teacher, biologist, as her website puts it. I haven't read much of her, but she was a contributor to a book I copyedited, Home Ground (Debra Gwartney and Barry Lopez, editors). The name Saulitis is Lithuanian, and my Lithuianian writer-editor friend Rasa mentioned Eva to me also; said she'd been impressed by her essays in Leaving Resurrection: Chronicles of a Whale Scientist. Which I purchased and have dipped into.

Here is a link to an essay Eva wrote about her impending death, "Wild Darkness." It's worth reading. And then pondering.

And now, I think I'll find my copy of Leaving Resurrection and dip a little further. RIP Eva.



1 comment:

Kim said...

Lovely essay. I added it to our Evernote file.