Saturday, December 12, 2015

365 True Things: 258/Places I Have Lived

West Los Angeles (Hanley Avenue)
Melbourne, Vic., Australia (Camberwell Road)
West Los Angeles (Sky Valley Lane, at the end of Mandeville Canyon Road)
Santa Monica (24th Street, in the house I now co-own with my brother)
Tokyo, Japan (Sarugaku-chō, Daikanyama, Shibuya-ku)
Feldafing, Bavaria, Germany (Haus Roseninsel, Pschorrstraße?)
West Los Angeles (Centinela Avenue and one other apartment I don't remember the location of)
Madison, Wisconsin (Lumley Road and Spaight Street)
Enschede, Netherlands (Hengelosestraat)
San Diego (Dwight Street)
Oakland (Rhoda Avenue)
El Cerrito (Avila Street)
Evanston, Illinois (Mulford Street)
Monterey (Prescott Avenue)
and . . . Del Rey Oaks (Altura Place, these last 25 years)

I had forgotten the names of some of these streets. It was interesting calling up maps and retracing my bicycle ride through the arboretum or walk home past the capitol to arrive at street names in Madison, or looking up ITC (Geo-Informatie Wetenschappen en Aardobservatie) in Enschede (where I worked as a teaching assistant and admittedly only lived for a summer, but I had an address and received mail there, so I reckon it counts!), or remembering where on a map I lived in El Cerrito and Evanston but not the name of the street. The San Diego street I was sure I wouldn't summon up, but I happened to look at just the right area on the map, and a little lightbulb went off: Dwight! Yes!

I was 2–3 in Australia, 6 when we moved to Santa Monica, 10 in Japan, 14–15 in Germany, 22 in Holland, 24 when I joined David in San Diego, and 34 when we moved to Monterey: a few milestones.


1 comment:

SMACK said...

that is some list......i have but just a few...