Sunday, December 6, 2015

365 True Things: 252/Backpacking

I've always wanted to go on a semi-serious solo backpacking trip. The John Muir Trail, say, or the Sierra High Route. Or just one of the more popular portals into the Sierra: Desolation, Hoover, Emigrant, or John Muir Wilderness, say. I nice loop hike to a lake or two or three; thirty, thirty-five miles; five, six, seven days in all. Sounds wonderful!

Despite these dreams, the only solo backpack I've ever done was a three-day trip into the Grand Canyon, over Easter weekend 2007.

When I started out early in the morning, it was snowing on the South Rim, but once I'd descended maybe a quarter mile, it started to warm up nicely. Off came my sweater and jacket. By the time I got down to the river, it was in the high 70s. Perfect!

My route was the South Kaibab Trail, to Phantom Ranch and Bright Angel Campground on the Colorado. I had two nights and one full day down at the bottom.

My first night, there was a whopping good thunderstorm! Very exciting, especially since I was using my new MSR three-season tent for the first time. The tent is very airy—lots of netting. But the rain fly worked well, and I stayed toasty dry and warm, reveling in the crashing booms and the rushing downpour.

The next morning dawned dry, and I had the whole day before me. I used it to hike the North Kaibab Trail to Ribbon Falls, five and a half miles on relatively flat terrain. It's a wonderful wet oasis in that otherwise sere landscape. On the walk back I had the company of Tony from Minnesota, who had been abandoned by his son. We had a great chat, and have kept in touch since.

The hike out was via the Bright Angel Trail, which I'd heard was really hard, but I guess I'm a good plodder, and I just kept plodding along until, poof, I popped out back on the South Rim.

On the march up, curiously, I developed a strong hankering for McDonald's french fries. Now, I never, ever eat at McDonald's, so just where that craving came from I can't tell you. But when I hopped in the car and headed out of the park, what did I find but . . . a McDonald's! I'm pretty sure I haven't had McDonald's french fries since then. But that particular helping? It was so very satisfying!

Here are some photos from that trip. And now, I think I'm going to put that solo Sierra backpack a little higher on my mental list—for next summer, maybe?

South Kaibab Trail
Final descent on South Kaibab to Colorado River

Silver Bridge across the Colorado
Bright Angel Campground (x marks my campsite)
Home sweet home
Late afternoon on the river
Bright Angel Creek
On the way to Ribbon Falls
Ribbon Falls
Looking out from behind the falls
Hydrophile
Ribbon Falls mossy gorgeousness
Looking down Bright Angel Trail as I near the top
The Colorado 5,000 feet below





3 comments:

Kim said...

I entered the lottery for a backpacking trip in Yosemite--the High Sierra Camps. Not solo. I'll have Eric with me. Not sure if the lottery deadline has expired, but you might enjoy something like that. No need to carry a tent, and they make dinner and breakfast for you.

Anne Canright said...

I did that a number of years ago. It was marvelous! We had the best guide (a ranger who was also an artist); went with David and another couple of good friends. I hope you have as good a time as we did. I'm envious! It's hard to get those spots!

SMACK said...

well i would love to any or all - but ...this is all in my head!! ..those very close to me know that i talk about doing things like this all the time - knowing that its the complete opposite of my reality!! .. but .. im with you in spirit!