|Ticket to Ride|
A while ago I took a class in the art department at the local college in all-things-color. It was a great class, with very fun assignments. One of our tasks was to design a game that used color as an important component. I created an elaborate, multi-tiered board game, complete with handmade playing pieces fashioned from Sculpey oven-bake clay. To progress across the board, you had to answer color and art questions. Today I ran across the stack of game cards (the board and playing pieces have long since been relegated to the dustbin). Here's a sampling of the questions (answers at the bottom):
1. In the liturgy of the Roman Catholic church, what color represents Advent?
2. The Hope diamond is a fine example of what color of diamond?
3. Which of the following natural organic pigments was made from the urine of cows fed on mango leaves?
a. rose madder
b. terre verte
c. Indian yellow
4. Where does Tyrian purple come from?
a. murex shellfish
c. fruit of the rattan palm
d. lapis lazuli
5. What was the favorite color of the fictional detective Nero Wolf?
6. In astrology, which gem is linked with the planet Jupiter?
7. Which color represents time for Hindus, and was the color of rebirth and resurrection for the Egyptians?
8. Which of the following artists got his start by entering and winning a Crayola coloring contest?
a. Robert Rauschenberg
b. David Hockney
c. Grant Wood
d. Edward Hopper
9. On pysanky (Russian painted eggs), what color represents Easter?
10. Which of these pigments is considered by some to be the most important synthetic-color discovery of the twentieth century?
a. phthalocyanine blue
b. quinacridone red
c. barium chromate
d. titanium white
11. If you were designing a restaurant and wanted to encourage leisurely dining, which color scheme might you use?
a. blues and yellows
b. greens and beiges
c. burgundies and maroons
d. coppers and greens
12. Which was the first important synthetic pigment, discovered in 1704?
a. cobalt yellow
b. Prussian blue
c. cerulean blue
d. flake white
13. The Steadman coat of arms is described in heraldic terms as "argent a chevron gules between three boars' heads couped sable." What colors are in this coat of arms?
14. Vermilion, made originally from the mineral cinnabar, is now synthesized from mercury and what other element?
15. Approximately how many 31/2-inch-square leaves of gold leaf are there in an ounce?
It was fun learning about colors, pigments, artists, and so forth to create this game. I do like learning stuff!