Monday, November 14, 2016

Hodgepodge 16/365 - Leon Russell


Induction of Leon Russell to the Rock and Roll Hall of fame, 2011. A moving tribute by Elton John, including an abbreviated list of all the many bands he's played with as a studio musician (all the Beach Boys albums, for starters). A short film. And finally, he arrived on stage. "It's great to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame," Leon said. "But I have to tell you something else that's also great. About a year ago Elton came and found me in the ditch beside the highway of life. And he took me up to the high stages, with big audiences, and treated me like a king. And the only thing I can say is, bless your heart. And also I want to say thank you very much. I appreciate it. And hallelujah." Then: "A Song for You."


This is all I have today. RIP, Leon (April 2, 1942–November 13, 2016). I'm glad you had your days on the stage at the end.

No comments: