Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Mary Randlett, photographer

This morning on FB (that seems to be my usual refrain anymore for launching these posts) the poet Kim Stafford posted a beautiful photo of a feather, with the following comment: "I remember seeing the raptor's nest high in an old pine, and on a hunch walking downwind . . . and there was the feather at my feet." 

Someone commented that the photo reminded her of Mary Randlett's (1924-2019) work, so of course I had to go check her out, because I find this feather exquisite. 

She did indeed do lovely work. Here is a sampling of some of her Pacific Northwest landscapes, though she is also known for photographs of architecture, public art, and Northwest artists and writers, working eventually for the University of Washington Press. (Click to see them large.)

Above Paradise, Mt. Rainier, 1992






I find her work rather reminiscent of one of my favorite photographers, Michael Kenna. Beautiful images. I'm glad to have encountered her.


No comments: