Monday, July 17, 2017

Hodgepodge 261/365 - Organ Recital

This morning we went to the Carmel Mission Basilica to hear an all-Bach recital by organist Andrew Arthur, as part of the annual Carmel Bach Festival, which just got under way. My conclusion? I am not especially enamored of the organ, though Arthur is an excellent performer. (I mean, I guess he is. But I'm really no judge of that, either.) I did enjoy being surrounded by the rich sound, but I would have been perfectly happy with a shorter program. (As is, the program lasted barely over an hour.)

Here's a video of Brigham Young University organ instructor Brian Mathias playing Bach's Prelude in C Major, BWV 547. We didn't get to see the ranks of the organ or Mr. Arthur's hands, which might have made it more interesting for me.


No comments: