Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Hodgepodge 256/365 - Detailing

One thing I have never done in my forty-odd years of owning cars (four of them, all told: I like to drive my cars into the ground) is get a car detailed. Well, there's always a first time for everything, and today was it for that!

My Subaru Outback is one and a half years old, and over that time a shitload of crap has accumulated in the back. Whenever we have guests and end up driving somewhere the four of us, everything in the backseat gets tossed into the back-back. There's rangering and climbing and SAR stuff back there: a how-to-tie-knots set of instruction cards; jumars (rope ascenders); a headlamp charger (it plugs in by the hatchback, very handy); a backpack; boots; a climbing harness; a variety of carabiners; etc. There are maps, for places far flung and for local parks. There is dog stuff, like a collapsible drinking bowl and assorted poop bags floating around like butterflies. I've got goggles, flippers, and paddles for the hands (still in their packaging) in case I ever decide to revisit my gym and brave its swimming pool. Most of my jackets managed to migrate from the hall closet into the car. Dirty socks. Random CDs. Pens. Dollar bills.The odd stick of gum.

Yeah, I'm a mess.

To my credit, there is never a single fast-food wrapper or soft-drink can. But only because I don't ingest such stuff.

Yesterday, though, I cleared everything out and into two storage bins, for future sorting, culling, and tossing. Leaving only dust, grime, dog hair, sand, and dried mud in the car. Everywhere.

Which Justin, the owner of Advanced Detailing, blanched only a little at (to his credit) when, this morning at 9 sharp, I pulled up in front of his shop.

Come 5, I had an essentially brand-new car. They even cleaned the engine compartment! It cost a bit, but we have the money, and I have to say, it sure is a pleasure to sit in a spanking clean automobile.

Now we're considering getting a fence for behind the back seat, so Milo doesn't mar the upholstery further. It sure would be nice to keep all that sand and dirt confined. Or at least get a backseat cover that's washable.

We'll see. Milo's happiness is more important than a clean car. But . . . maybe we won't be driving anywhere to go for a walk until next week. Give me a few days to enjoy the sparkle and shine before we return to the hazy film of wet sand and dried mud.


1 comment:

Kim said...

Your car sounds fun. And I'll never forget the vision of Milo in the passenger seat of your previous vehicle when you pulled up to Belinda's Barn that time;-)