Thursday, April 16, 2020

Covid-19: Strategic National Stockpile

This afternoon I went for a drive over to Carmel Valley to meet a friend for a walk. On the way there, I listened to our governor, Gavin Newsom, expressing sincere gratitude to our front-line workers—in this case, grocery store checkers and stockers. He'd heard that they consider themselves "not essential, but disposable," in the current pandemic, and he wanted to make sure they knew: they are fighting the hero's fight, for all of us. His words brought tears to my eyes.

I got to the small parking area only to find it full up, and no friend in sight. A big black Jeep pulled out, releasing a spot, and I pulled in. Then waited. Texted my friend. Waited some more. Called her—no answer. So I left, and on the way home I listened to a fascinating interview by Meghna Chakrabarti with Greg Burel, former head of the Strategic National Stockpile. (The linked story also references other stories, from the WaPo, Time, and other news sites, about the SNS.)

It used to be I did all my radio listening while driving. I miss listening to the radio . . . Not that I can't continue to listen now. I just don't think about it when I'm not in my car!

Wikipedia has a seemingly good article on the history of the SNS. It got started, they say, in 1998 by Bill Clinton, after reading a novel by Richard Preston, The Cobra Event, about bioterror- ism. He convened military and medical experts, and within short order vaccine and pharmaceutical stockpiling for civilian use had been authorized, to be carried out by the Centers for Disease Control. (Such already existed for the military.) The Strategic Pharmaceutical Stock- pile became the Strategic National Stockpile in 2003, under joint management of the Department of Homeland Security and the Department of Health and Human Services.

As Wikipedia explains, the SNS is "the United States' national repository of antibiotics, vaccines, chemical antidotes, antitoxins, and other critical medical supplies," including respirators, masks, and so many items so sorely needed across this country right now. The stockpile is spread among secret locations throughout the country, and is worth some $7–8 billion. Most people don't have a clue that it exists—or, until recently, that they might actually need it. (Yet another case of a necessary government service that, being invisible, doesn't convince people that government itself is necessary.)

The USDHHS's Public Health Emergency website has more information as well. But then again, I'm not sure we can trust anything this administration allows to be published on dot-gov websites. On April 3, Jared Kushner claimed that "the notion of the federal stockpile was it’s supposed to be our [i.e., the federal government's] stockpile. It’s not supposed to be states’ stockpiles that they then use." Which is patently wrong, as Mr. Burel explained today.

God, I hate this "administration."

In any case, I heard only part of the interview today. Tomorrow I will set aside an hour to listen to it again.

And thank you so much to all our front-line responders. Thank you so. so. very. much . . .

Meanwhile, my friend? She just forgot about our walk. It's hard to keep track of time these days.

***************

Today's count for Monterey County: 119, up 11 since yesterday. Holding steady at 3 deaths.

Stay inside. Don't listen to people who say, "It's only the flu." Thank your grocery store checker. Stay healthy.


2 comments:

Kim said...

I have one simple question: if the states have their own stockpiles, who gets to receive supplies from the federal one? I mean, all Americans live in a state, so they’d receive their emergency stockpiles from their state, under this theory. So, I ask again, where do all the federally stashed supplies go? I’ve never understood this.

Anne Canright said...

Burel's explanation suggests that it's simply a matter of a state or region running out of the goods they need, at which point they appeal to the SNS. So yes, states have their own stockpiles, and normally they would suffice. But in extreme circumstances, they could ask for help. Which isn't to say the SNS would be able to help every state in need. Burel also said that pandemic goods in particular have not been fully replaced since the 2009 H1N1 pandemic, thanks to Congress not fulfilling requests for funding. There was some funding in the recent CARE act, but Burel says that a one-time allocation isn't going to take care of things. The SNS needs regular infusions of funds. All other areas--bioterrorism, nuclear, a couple of other threats--are fully stockpiled.