Sunday, June 21, 2015

365 True Things: 85/Bread (6/21/15)

The wedding morning-after: a beautiful brunch at Heidi's brother Martin's farm—scrambled eggs, whole-grain breads and rolls, various cheeses and sliced meats, pickled herring, potato salad, tomatoes, smoked salmon, fresh fruit salad. I never grow tired of a good Norwegian buffet breakfast.

I especially loved the homemade whole-grain rolls, heavy with seeds; crunchy and savory. I also found a piece of German-style Vollkornbrot (Martin's wife, Eris, is German). The chewier the bread, the better it is with cold cuts. And oh, the herrings!


At home, I tend to buy Dave's Killer Bread, which is as close as you get to good whole-grain bread in a commercial loaf. For a treat, I'll buy German pumpernickel. Or, of course, go to a bakery.

Or there's always making bread myself.

We asked Eris for the recipe for the whole-grain rolls; she thought a moment, then recited:

200g white flour
200g whole wheat flour
200g seeds, oats, etc.
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dry yeast
500mL warm water

Mix together the evening before. In the morning, spoon large spoonfuls onto baking sheet. Bake 20 minutes at 225 degrees Celsius.


1 comment:

SMACK said...

that looks sooo good .. love simple good food like that.. . its beyond me how anyone could just east plain bland and nothing good about it white bread when there are so many other choices!