Sunday, January 15, 2023

Jane Kim, artist (71)

Currently the Monterey Art Museum is featuring work by the scientific illustrator, artist, and muralist Jane Kim. Her show is called "Migrations," and the images I've seen advertising it focus on the monarch butterfly, which is a part-time resident here.


A mural at 455 Hyde in San Francisco.

But as I looked deeper, I realized that I had encountered Kim's work a number of years ago, for she is the artist who created the Cornell Lab of Ornithology "Wall of Birds" back in 2016. It's a tremendous feat, 70 feet wide by 40 feet tall, depicting 270 species, encompassing all 243 modern families of birds and 27 of their extinct ancestors. It took her two and a half years to complete. Here are some images from the wall. You can also explore it up close and from the comfort of your home via this interactive site




A parade of ghosts: the ancestors

And it's available as a book: 

Though next time I'm in Ithaca, NY, I'd love to pay a visit to the Lab and see this masterpiece in person.


No comments: