Wednesday, December 16, 2020

My Books of 2019

Apparently I never made a master list of the books I read in 2019, so . . . here it is. The challenge began on February 19, and I finished up having read only 30 books--as opposed to 50 the year before, and 61 the year before that. But that year (like this one) I didn't set myself a goal. I figured I'd just read, and see what happened. So, this is what happened. It was not an especially highbrow year. But 19 of the 30 were by women, which I'm happy about.

1. Stephen King, The Stand ๐Ÿ’™
2. Stephen King, On Writing: A Memoir of Craft
3. Chigozie Obioma, The Fishermen ๐Ÿ’™
4. C. J. Sansom, Dissolution
5. Emily Bernard, Black Is the Body: Stories from My Grandmother's Time, My Mother's Time, and Mine
6. Sigrid Nuรฑez, The Friend
7. Donna Leon, Death in a Strange Country
8. Louise Penny, The Cruelest Month
9. Astrid Lindgren, Pippi gรฅr om bord
10. Michael Connelly, The Black Echo
11. Laura Marx Fitzgerald, Under the Egg
12. Pema Chรถdrรถn, Taking the Leap: Freeing Ourselves from Old Habits and Fears
13. Michael Connelly, The Black Ice
14. Kate Atkinson, Life after Life
15. Anthony Doerr, All the Light We Cannot See ๐Ÿ’™
16. Cynthia Newberry Martin, Tidal Flats
17. Louise Penny, A Rule against Murder
18. Brian Fies, A Fire Story: A Graphic Memoir ๐Ÿ’™
19. Jacqueline Woodson, Each Kindness
20. Joan Silber, Improvement
21. James Lasdun, Afternoon of a Faun
22. Hannah Hinchman, Little Things in a Big Country: An Artist and Her Dog on the Rocky Mountain Front ๐Ÿ’™
23. Olga Tokarczuk, Drive Your Plow over the Bones of the Dead ๐Ÿ’™
24. Donna Leon, The Anonymous Venetian
25. Jenny Odell, How to Do Nothing: Resisting the Attention
Economy
๐Ÿ’™
26. Martin Walker, Bruno, Chief of Police
27. Susie Steiner, Missing, Presumed
28. Michael Connelly, The Concrete Blonde
29. Louise Penny, The Brutal Telling
30. Louise Penny, Bury Your Dead

It occurs to me that I could add the various books that I proofread and edit during the year. But I wouldn't exactly call that "reading." So, no. But I have actually enjoyed some of the jobs I've worked on lately. Which keeps me focused, and keeps a little money flowing in. So that's a good thing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monterey County's Covid-19 stats for today: 18,221 confirmed cases, 133 current hospitalizations, 165 deaths--up, respectively, 295, 6, and 7 since yesterday. 

Stay safe. Reading shlock is just fine.



No comments: