Thursday, November 9, 2017

Glasgow Murals

I happened to check Flickr to see if there were any interesting photos, and the first to pop up were some shots of murals by a Dutch "friend" of mine. I love murals! But where were these? A little digging got me the answer: Glasgow.

I've been to Glasgow, once, many years ago, and I don't recall murals then. But we didn't stay long—it was a quick visit as we started our walking tour of the West Highland Way. According to an official brochure, the City Centre Mural Trail was launched in 2014 "to promote the growing portfolio of works adorning buildings within Glasgow city centre." How delightful! It makes me want to pay a return visit to that city, which I recall enjoying. It has a very different feel from Edinburgh, more solid and rugged, more brick than granite, no castle atop the hill.

Here are some of the murals (the first is the one that caught my eye, photo by Chantal van der Ende-Appel). As always, click on the images to view them large on black.

The Barras Pirate, by Rogue-One (aka Bobby McNamara)
Hip-Hop Marionettes, by Rogue-One
Four Seasons (Summer), by Smug
Wilson Street Badminton mural, by Guido Van Helten
Four Seasons (Autumn), by Smug
High Street mural (Mungo), by Smug
Argyle Street Cafe mural, by Smug
Firhill (Glasgow football stadium) mural, by Rogue-One
Dunlop Street cat (fragment), by Rogue-One
Tiger, by James Klinge
The World's Most Economical Taxi, by Rogue-One
The Gallery, by Sam Bates
Hand Shadow Puppets, by Rogue-One




No comments: