Monday, January 30, 2017

Hodgepodge 93/365 - Writing in the Age of Trump

I feel like calling my Members of Congress is not enough, but I'm hard-pressed to know what else to do. My friend Kim just  participated in a weekend conference with Barry Lopez, who apparently gave some courage on how to weather this disaster as a writer. I don't know what he said, but that made me wonder what others have said (or written) on this topic. Here are some resources that my writer friends might want to check out. I'll try to add to it as I stumble on new references.

Aleksandar Hemon, "Stop Making Sense, or How to Write in the Age of Trump," Village Voice, Jan. 17, 2017. ["To write in and of America, we must be ready to lose everything, to recognize we never had any of it in the first place, to abandon hope and embrace struggle, to fight in the streets and in our sentences. It will not be even close to comfortable."]

Paul Stoller, "Writing Resistance in the Age of Trump," Huffington Post, Jan. 25, 2017. [Ethnography: telling real people's real stories.]

Laura Stampler, "13 YA Authors on Writing in the Age of Trump," Los Angeles Times, Nov. 9, 2016. [A reminder that this administration's trashing of our country will only affect me so long. The young people, though: I hope they learn to stand up and speak out for what is right and just.]

Literary Hub, "The Beginning or the End? Writers on the Age of Trump," LH, Nov. 7, 2016.

Gabrielle Bellot, "Queer Writers in the Age of Trump," Atlantic, Nov. 18, 2016.

Lara Zarum, "Advice for Journalists in the Age of Trump: 10 Helpful Primers," Flavorwire, Dec. 1, 2016. 

Jeremy L. Caradonna, "How to Talk about Climate Change in the Age of Trump," Resilience, Nov. 22, 2016.

Amory Silvertson, "Dear Sugar Radio Live: The Writers Resist, Part 1," WBUR, Jan. 20, 2017.

Maddie Crum, "What It Means to Be a Writer in the Time of Trump: 18 Authors Weigh in on Their New Responsibilities," Huffington Post, Nov. 18, 2016.

Cody Delistraty, "We Have to Resist: A Conversation with Rebecca Solnit," Dec. 22, 2016.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Oh, thanks for this. I'll review my notes and share some thoughts.