Thursday, May 21, 2015

365 True Things: 54/Numbers

A number of years ago (ha ha), I launched a photo project of numbers. Interesting-looking numbers in the landscape, from 1 to 100. I started with 1 on February 12, 2010, going in order initially, but pretty quickly (like, at 7) gave myself permission to grab numbers as they popped up.

I'm not much of a rule follower in general life, but I do often find it helpful to work within limitations in my "artistic" projects. As long as they're reasonable rules! Sequential numbers, as it turned out, was a ridiculous rule.

And yes, I totally duplicate. It's quite wonderful how many interesting numbers are out in the world.

Today we went for one of our regular walks and I saw some new signposts had been put up: where trails 6 and 7 merge (or split, depending on how you view the situation), I was treated to a 67! And as it turned out, I needed a 67!

I still need quite a few numbers to finish my project: 27, 31, 45, 55, 70–72, 78, 81, 83, 88–91, and 96–98. Maybe by the end of the year? That would be a worthy goal.

Here are some of my favorite numbers so far:

Owens Valley Research Station, California
Orkney Islands, Scotland
Fethaland, farthest north point of Shetland Mainland, Scotland
Pinnacles National Park, California
Fisherman's Wharf, Monterey, California
Harley Farms Goat Dairy, Pescadero, California

Wharf No. 2, Monterey, California
Calle de los Ositos, Carmel Valley, California
Monterey Beach, California
Antietam National Battlefield, Maryland
Norwood, Virginia
Los Padres Dam, Carmel Valley, California





1 comment:

cynthia newberry martin said...

I ADORE this--my favorite of your posts so far!