Friday, July 17, 2020

Harry Callahan, photographer

The other day my FB friend Luis Alberto Urrea, on his "Operation Uplift" daily challenge, asked people to post photos of windows, and the next day, of doors. This reminded me of a postcard that I found recently in my papers, of an image by photographer Harry Callahan (1912–1999) from 1945 titled Apartment House:


And it reminded me, too, of how much I enjoy Callahan's formalist work. A favorite subject was his wife, Eleanor (1916–2012) (the photo here is of the two of them in Colorado in 1942; they met in 1933 and were together for 66 years, until his death), as well as their daughter, Barbara. So here, for your viewing pleasure, are of few of those Eleanor pictures (mainly from the late 1940s and early 1950s). Maybe on another day, I'll share some of his urban/documentary photography, which I also love (in both black-and-white and color). As always, click on the image to see it large on black.











Okay, here's one color one of an urban setting—no Eleanor, but other themes remain intact; it was taken in Kansas City in 1981.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today's MoCo stats for Covid-19: 3,059 cases (up 76 since yesterday); hospitalizations, 201 (up 4); fatalities remain at 18.

Stay safe. Stay healthy.


1 comment:

Kim said...

Love the mood and tone of his work. Very evocative.