Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Hodgepodge 305/365 - Scotland

Twelve years ago yesterday, Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans. David and I were hiking the West Highland Way, out of Glasgow north to Fort Arthur, at the time. I remember sitting cozy in a wood-paneled pub somewhere along the way, no doubt sipping at a pint, watching the TV in the corner as devastating images flashed by. It was all rather surreal.

These last few days, I've been more groundedly at home, but nevertheless watching in dismay as more devastating images cycle through my feed. This time, Harvey and Houston. It hits a little closer to home because I've become a Red Cross volunteer, and the possibility of deploying to help those poor folks tickles my mind. But . . . I have steady work in through October, so it probably won't happen. There are also fires in Oregon needing volunteer shelter workers. No shortage of natural disasters. And they'll only be getting worse, no doubt. I'll get my opportunity.

But I didn't want to write here about the disasters. When someone mentioned today that it's the twelfth anniversary of Katrina, I was immediately transported back to the cozy pub. And so today I thought I'd post some photos from that trip; they are slide scans, and a very scant selection of all the photos I know I must have taken on that trip. But they'll do for today. (I can't believe I was only fifty then. Just saying.)

Goats
Peacock Butterfly (Aglais io)
Loch Lomond monument, Rowardennan (WWH)
Near Kinlochewe, on the West Highland Way
Rainbow over Cromarty Firth
1645
Edinburgh Castle chapel
Scottish Parliament, Edinburgh
Isle of Skye

No comments: