Monday, March 7, 2016

365 True Things: 344/Garden

I wrote about my garden last June, when I was full of enthusiastic optimism. (I was about to go on vacation. Optimism spikes when vacation is nigh.) I wrote about it again in August, when I was less positive. Though I did think I might be getting a neighborly assist. Alas, that crumbled to dust before anything ever happened. (And the neighbor made off with my entire seed collection to boot.)

It doesn't look like much,
but believe me: it's way better
It's a new year, though, and this weekend, undaunted, we got out there and worked. Filled four large yard waste bins (our nearby neighbors were no doubt delighted to lend us theirs: community improvement) with, mostly, arugula run amok. (Another one or two binfuls will finish the job with next week's trash pick-up.) Today I pulled poppies and lupines from the long narrow bed that backs onto a stone wall; the wall creates extra warmth, so it's good for nightshade family members. Accordingly, I planted five tomatoes, four peppers, and one lonely eggplant. Filled the bed, which also contains some struggling strawberries and new little snap pea plants. That felt good.

There's still plenty (but plenty) to do: empty the yard of the last of the weeds, plant a bunch of seeds, then assess what space is left and go buy and plant some more plants and seeds. But I'm hopeful. I am, after all, as I detailed earlier, an optimist deep down. The trick is to keep the garden steadily in my consciousness.

I am hereby planning a daily visit "down under" (the garden is on a terrace below the house, so out of sight—and out of mind if I don't actively add it to my list of daily chores). I just need to advance past my love of digging and planting, and learn to appreciate the joys of tending and, eventually, harvesting. I can do it! I can!

The Aztec rain god, Tlaloc
Though I've gotta say, it sure helps when water pours copiously out of the sky, loosening the soil and nurturing the plants naturally. Five inches of rain this weekend: heaven sent, literally. Thank you, Tlaloc, Bi Xing, Lono, Surupa, Dudumitsa, Deng, Lumo, and Tรณ Neinilii—and all other rain deities. THANK YOU!




No comments: