Monday, December 14, 2015

365 True Things: 260/School

Much of my university schooling was on the quarter system, at UCLA: ten weeks plus one for final exams. Before you knew it, it was over. I liked that.

I spent one year at UC Berkeley and two years at University of Wisconsin–Madison, both of which are on the semester system. Maybe because I was fully immersed in the student life there, I hardly noticed that the school term was much longer than I was used to: sixteen weeks, twice over. It didn't seem to drag. (Or maybe I've just forgotten?)

Here in Monterey, over the years I've taken various classes at the local community college. Mostly in the art department, in photography, or in languages (Russian and Italian). MPC, as it's called (Monterey Peninsula College), is on the semester system. Early on, when I first started taking classes there, I don't recall the time dragging.

But the last few times I've tried to edify myself by way of college courses? Round about week ten, I can't stand it anymore, and I just . . . drift . . . away.

Fortunately, my instructors have been understanding and given me passing grades. Not that I care. One, whom I ran into at the hospital a couple of years ago while we were each visiting sick friends, did mention that it was a little awkward for him, since by all rights he should have failed me. But I did such outstanding work at the start of the semester that he figured that wasn't right either.

And no, I shouldn't have just disappeared like that.

But really: ten weeks is plenty for a school term. Especially if you're leading a life that mostly isn't about being a student.

After flaking out like that two, three times, I gave up on taking classes at MPC. I miss them, and the stimulation of learning and interacting with other students. But I don't miss semesters.



No comments: