Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Los Padres Dam (88)

I went out with nine others today to do some trail work on the Big Pines Trail, near Los Padres Dam in the Carmel River watershed. We cleared some twenty trees from the trail after the recent big rains. It was the first time I'd been out in that area in a few years, ever since a serious landslide obliterated the former access road. 

There used to be a road through the middle of that.

A new bypass trail has been built that now goes up and over, thanks to a few intrepid wilderness rangers. It's a bit of a slog, but it's safe.

I took some photos, which is what I offer here today. Working hard to clear some trail always opens and settles my mind. Being out with the trees and birds and clear skies, ditto. Sometimes there are newts, but not today; sometimes there are ticks, but thankfully, again not today. 

These first few photos are from this morning, of the dam and its spillway, and the reservoir. (Click to see the photos large.)




A couple things I noticed along the way.


And the afternoon return.

Notice how many of the logs that clogged the shores in the
morning are gone. I do not know why this happened.


The spillway.

Wilderness rangers returning wearily to their vehicles.

And our happy, if weary, crew:



No comments: