Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Hodgepodge 185/365 - Poem (Mary Oliver)

Halleluiah

by Mary Oliver

Everyone should be born into this world happy
and loving everything.
But in truth it rarely works that way.
For myself, I have spent my life clamoring toward it.
Halleluiah, anyway I'm not where I started!
And have you too been trudging like that, sometimes
almost forgetting how wondrous the world is
and how miraculously kind some people can be?
And have you too decided that probably nothing important
is ever easy?
Not, say, for the first sixty years.
Halleluiah, I'm sixty now, and even a little more,
and some days I feel I have wings.

And as long as we're on Halleluiahing, I will just mention this post from the start of the current 365: Pentatonix does Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah," plus a few other renditions. Can't really get too much of the Pentatonix version, I have to say . . . So here, I'll make it easy for you:



And as a side note, it wasn't until I went to Jerusalem and visited an archeological site that is purported to be the very spot where King David first spied Bathsheba, and our guide, Avsha, mentioned this song, that I understood what "Hallelujah" is about in the first place. So I clearly had to go to Israel to further my pop-cultural education as well.


No comments: