Monday, September 11, 2023

Everything Must Change

We watched a movie the other night, Another Happy Day, with Ellen Barkin, Ellen Burstyn, Demi Moore, George Kennedy, Thomas Haden Church (naming the actors I recognized). The title of the film was highly ironic: it was about a wedding in a family that, to put it mildly, was (I hope) more dysfunctional than most. 

But I liked the movie okay. I think some forward motion occurred. Good change, even if infinitesimal, is good change? Then again, it rated 47% on Rotten Tomatoes, so maybe I'm just compensating for the two hours of my life I spent watching it...

I'm mentioning it here, though, because I did, definitely, enjoy the soundtrack, which until the credits I did not realize was composed by Ólafur Arnalds, whom my sister-in-law introduced me to. And I especially liked the song that played over the closing credits, "Everything Must Change," written by Benard Ighner (1974). Here's Nina Simone singing it:

And here's Quincy Jones, who perhaps first made it famous:

But for something completely different (yeah, it's barely even the same tune), here's Arnalds's rendition:

I just wanted to catalogue these....

 


No comments: