Thursday, March 9, 2023

Greg Brown's "Ella Mae" (98)

A simple offering today: a song I love. I first heard it in the second version here, from Going Driftless, a tribute album to the singer-songwriter Greg Brown. How I stumbled on that record I don't know, but I'm glad I did: it introduced me to Brown, whom we've since gone to see perform a couple of times. His own rendition of "Ella Mae," which is about his grandmother, is the first one here. The second is sung by Greg's daughters, Pieta, Zoe, and Constie Brown, and it breaks me every time I hear it. "Ella Mae." Enjoy.




1 comment:

greg said...

I've seen Greg Brown live a few times, the first of which was during RAGBRAI, the bike ride across Iowa. It's was in the small town of Early, which he wrote a song about. The last time I saw him was in Boston; he'd put together a serious take on Blake's Songs of Innocence. It was unexpected.