Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Alex Honnold, climber

I'm going to fan-girl for today's post, because... Alex

The other day I came on this video about the making of the movie Free Solo, about Alex's, yes, free solo of El Cap in 2017, featuring filmmakers Jimmy Chin and E. Chai Vasarhelyi:

And here are a few more videos of Alex being his inimitably darling self. First, 10 things he can't live without (from 2019):

And from 2021, Alex breaking down climbing scenes from movies:

From this year, a free-soloing excursion with YouTuber Magnus Midtbø, at Red Rock Canyon outside Las Vegas (MM calls it an **insane experience**):

 Here he is answering fans' questions online:


 "I'm sure it'll be fine," says Cedar Wright, in "How to Solo a Big Wall":

And finally, Alex giving a TED talk, in 2018, kind of about fear (which he knows zero about, so there's that):

I know. You may have clicked on one of these videos and then, immediately, said, "Nah." But I'm sticking these here because, fan-girl that I am, I benefit from his wisdom. Or his cuteness, anyway. His wisdom would, perhaps, benefit climber-girl me, if I were putting on rock shoes anymore. But that said, maybe? The Pinnacles, once it cools down a bit? Dust off those old cams and chocks, go for an easy 5.8? Why not?



No comments: