Friday, April 3, 2020

Covid-19: Facebook Challenges

I've been seeing challenges on Facebook lately, above and beyond the usual ones. People are trying to amuse themselves and/or spread beauty while sheltering inside as we work to quash this virus. Recently, for example:

On your own Facebook wall, list six bands/artists you've seen in concert, but ONE is a lie.

Variations on this are to list six, or ten, or however many, jobs you've worked, or famous people you've met, ONE of which is a lie.

And a variation on the bands theme: List all the bands you've ever seen from A to Z. I've got some musician friends out there, and they were able to complete the alphabet. Me, I don't have enough energy to check (it's certainly possible), but it did prompt me to list countries I've been from A to Z: all I was missing was K, O, and Q (the latter two of which represent one country each, Oman and Qatar, and chances of my going there are approximately nil; as for K, I've always been intrigued by Kazakhstan).

The following one strikes me as a little passive-aggressive, despite the "positivity" appeal. Why not simply, "Upload 1 picture of yourself... just you!!! Fill Facebook with beauty!"

If I tagged you, don't disappoint me. If I didn't tag you, please, no offense. I tried to choose people I thought would make this fun. Too often, women find it easier to criticize each other instead of building each other up. With all the negativity out there, let's do something positive. Upload 1 Picture of yourself... just you!!!! Then tag so many beautiful women to do the same. (FB only allows 50) We will build ourselves, instead of tearing us apart. 💋💙

There's the "Unpopular Opinion Game": Name 10 things you don't like that everyone else seems to love. Someone I know actually put liver as number one, being under the (I would say) misapprehension that most people love liver.

Writer Mark Childress, who's a wag, made up his own response to that sort of game:
Please list ten or 11 things (IN ORDER) that you like, or know, or don't like, never knew, or recently forgot. Be sure to list these items IN ORDER. And don't forget to add your own list (IN ORDER).

1. Dogs of Brazil
2. Cleopatra's Needle
3. Raiders of the Lost Ark
4. Artichoke
5. L. or H. (sic)
6. W.C. Handy
7. "Saved by the Bell"
8. Cumulonimbus
9. Transsexual popes of the 14th century
10. True
11. (3)

(To forward to all your friends, close your left eye and set your tongue between your teeth. Snap fingers on your left hand by holding down the CTRL button. Wah Lah!)
In a similar silly vein, there's Take a movie title and substitute "toilet paper" for one word. My favorite: The Unbearable Lightness of Toilet Paper.

Then there's this sort:


Yeah.

There is of course the old "show me the eighth picture on your phone's camera roll" or "I spy something... YELLOW on your phone's camera roll! Show it to everyone!" I played along and posted this:


When my friend wrote, "Okay, you are now RED," I wrote back, "There is also RED in this picture!" And left it at that. This is why I usually don't participate in these games. Too demanding.

Recently a friend commented on another challenge going around—to fill Facebook with pictures of beautiful places, but they (a) can't have any people in them or (b) be identified as to location. He said, "I’m enjoying the 'filling FB with...' memes, but the whole 'no comment or explanation' caveat seems counterproductive." I  remarked to Jeff that the "no location" directive is what got me started with my own FB guessing game: to identify where pictures I've been mining from my Flickr collection were taken.

It started when I posted this photo "with no comment or explanation," and people started guessing where it was:

Tintern Abbey, Wales

"Where Am I?" is what I call the game. Here are the photos I've posted so far (in no particular order, except that the inaugural photo is presented here first):

Barker Dam, Joshua Tree NP
(I tagged the one person I was pretty sure would know,
who lives in Joshua Tree and who spends some
time on Facebook, because I didn't think many other of my
FB friends would recognize it [it is a little abstract]—
and because I didn't yet realize this game was a thing)
Quito, Ecuador
(the correct guesser googled "cathedral two
clock towers"; she's never been to Quito)

Hue, Vietnam
(the correct guesser was one of my fellow birders
on a trip two years ago)
Grimsbu, Norway
(I suggested that "one of my family" might recognize this—
and my sister-in-law Heidi came through, but not before I
got impatient and identified it: because what if she didn't
check FB for weeks?)

Tel Aviv
(the IDer of Quito, with a little encouragement on my part,
googled the answer to this one too; she's never been to
Tel Aviv either)
Assateague Lighthouse
(an honest ID by someone who's been there—
at least, I'm guessing that's the case . . . but even though
I've been there (obviously), I would have had to
google this)
Del Rey Oaks Frog Pond
(this one was for my local peeps)
Edinburgh
Denali 14,000-foot base camp
Bike path under Santa Monica Pier
Wrangell, Alaska
Chenonceau Castle, France
Kilauea Lighthouse, Kauai

I have to say, it's been fun to have an important reason! to revisit my photos—and remember how fortunate I am to have been so many beautiful and amazing places. And soon, I fully expect, I'll be traveling again.

Today's Covid-19 count for Monterey County: 57 cases; deaths holding steady at 2.

Stay inside. Stay safe. Stay healthy.


1 comment:

Kim said...

Goodness. I hadn’t seen all these. Guess people are looking for distractions. I mostly blow by these types of posts. Except for yours. I’m enjoying your photos from the places you’ve sojourned.