Tuesday, January 2, 2024

Curiosity 68: Hollywood Golden Age stars

Yesterday my SIL Patty and I met to talk writing, as we do every couple of weeks. The object of our discussion was a piece (novel?) I've returned to after a long hiatus, about WWII and the Japanese internment, though the heroine of my story is a Los Angeles artist, Cora, who befriends a (Jewish) Buddhist priest, Julius. It's based loosely on an episode from my mother's life.

In any case, we were talking about portraits and backstory, because in what I've written I haven't yet settled on a "look" or "style" (i.e., I've never described Cora). And Patty asked what Golden Age Hollywood star she might be like. Now, I don't know Golden Age Hollywood all that well. Patty suggested Gloria Swanson (or was it Joan Crawford?) and Greta Garbo, but no, I didn't think they were right. I suggested Claudette Colbert, simply because I remember enjoying It Happened One Night long ago, and Patty agreed that she might be a good model.

Well, today I've gone searching. I found a great series of short videos showcasing various of those stars. They make me want to watch the old movies, especially the screwball comedies of the 30s and 40s. Here's a longish one about It Happened, featuring Claudette Colbert at the start.

But then I stumbled on a short profile of Carole Lombard, who "lit up the screen with her vivacious energy and brilliant comic timing," and maybe she's the best model for my Cora:

Or yeah, what about Joan Crawford, who had "fierce determination, dedication to her craft, and remarkable ability to continually reinvent herself"?

Who else? Not Katharine Hepburn, though I love her—but perhaps I know her too well. I think I just need the suggestion of qualities to start fleshing out my own character. 

Though that said, I keep thinking of Frances McDormand, 1940s style... Wouldn't Cora just love to be like her?



No comments: